Sunday, May 3, 2009

While Mommy Is Training...

Daddy and Peanut are bonding. I am glad that they get to spend a good deal of time together, I just wish I could join them for nap time!








Training has been great; a good portion of it is review of things I have learned just from working, but a lot of it is new and all of it is done to make me liable. Pretty scary! I will never be able to use the excuse "I did not know" (not that I have or ever will use those words), but I better make sure I remember all of it when I go back to work. The physical part is the best; I love learning all the defensive tactics and the physical conditioning is extremely rigorous. I am left stiff and sore after every physical training day, and even though I am in pretty good shape it reminds me that I am not even close to where I want to be physically. Anyway, I have a week left and then it's back to work for me.




Home is good. The boys are all happy and healthy. Peanut is getting bigger and bigger, and refining character every day. He is polite, but he is not afraid to jump into any conversation with his little attitude and opinion. I think we are going to start potty training next weekend, so if you have ideas or suggestions please leave them in the comments sections. I think we are just going to quit diapers during the day cold turkey. Is that bad? Just put him in some big boy pants and get him to the potty every hour or so. I know we are going to be doing a lot of laundry, but it seems like we should just jump right in. Opinions, please.




We have been working on the house when we can; we just put new lighting in the kitchen, got a new living room window put in and we are getting the house painted when the rain stops. Guess what... the bathroom is still not finished. I get a new promise weekly of the date it will be finished, but I have resigned myself to no bathroom forever. The saddest part is that it is basically finished! If someone would get in there and finish the wainscoting then I can paint and we can put in the toilet and sink and fixtures and we will be finished! Someday.




Anyway, the days are busy, but there is not a lot to talk about. Life, day by day, is not that exciting. On the upside, I have been spending Friday evenings with a friend of mine and it has been so great to get away once a week and just chat with her. I do not have to think about the family or the house, and while that sounds a little selfish, I really need it. Sometimes I spend the night over there and we get a few girls together and talk about nothing and eat a lot; I feel like a teenager, but whatever. It is like therapy. I never really cared if I had close friends before, but it has become more important to me lately. I think it is keeping me from going crazy. I think you understand.




My thinking has turned to rambling. Have a great week!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Its been way too long since I've had a few spare moments to read my favorite blogs, but I enjoyed my visit today.

As for potty training, David has been sitting on the potty at daycare every day at one hour intervals since March. So far, we have 3 poops in the potty at school and one occasion of peeing on the potty at home (notice is said ON and not IN).

I too thought I was brilliant by quitting diapers cold turkey and using cotton training pants. I thought for sure my little guy would hate being wet so much that he would want to go potty.

The first time I put the cotton pants on him, he peed in the kitchen 10 minutes later. I discovered this when I stepped in a puddle. I sat him on the potty, changed him and he peed again 15 minutes later. I stepped in the puddle again and then spent the next 10 minutes chasing him down so I could change him, meanwhile he was jumping on my couch and my bed with wet underpants on.

It's a brilliant idea and I hope it works for your little peanut. If not, my advice would be wait a little while and try again. He'll be ready when he's ready.

Good luck!

LeAnn Thomas said...

Hi, there. First, thanks for the Twitter follow! I like your blog! :)

As for potty training, let them lead. I've done it three times, and every kid is different. Also, remember that to completely change something THAT HUGE (going potty in a big bowl, versus going wherever, in whatever they had on, which they've done since conception) is a really big change of mindset and habit and discipline. So it's not easy. I hate to hear of parents punishing their kids for accidents while training. Cruel. So be patient, and go at his pace, and he'll be fine. "You never hear of a kid going to Kindergarten in diapers", my pediatrician says! :)

~LeAnn