Oh my goodness!!! This is my new favorite cookbook in the universe! I love making casseroles, but I sometimes run out of ideas or want to change the ingredients a little bit. I found this book while doing some after Christmas shopping (you gotta love a good sale).
I mean really, try this:
Chili Relleno Casserole
1 pound lean ground beef
1 bell pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup half-and-half cream
1. In skillet, brown meat with bell pepper and onion. Add chopped green chilies, oregano, cilantro, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
2. Seed whole chilies and spread on bottom of greased 9x13 inch baking dish
3. Cover with meat mixture and sprinkle with cheese
4. Combine eggs and flour and beat with fork until fluffy.
5. Add half-and-half, mix and pour slowly over meat in casserole.
6. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Lots of the recipes are even less complicated than this and I cannot wait to try them out. I have a feeling we will be eating a lot of casseroles this year.