Tuesday, July 29, 2008

work, and the thoughts that go with it...














We have been busy these last few days; we have been to playdates at other moms' houses and had a few at our house and one at the park...

And then there is work.


There is always a ridiculous amount of work to do around the house; not counting home improvement projects! That is just the normal chores! It is so easy to get behind when there are plants to water, animals to feed, people to feed, dishes to wash... blah, blah, blah. All part of being a mommy, but geez, am I tired!


My idea of walking to work for a workout every day has not started to pay off yet. I think I need to walk faster...


I do not usually talk about work away from work, and especially on my mommy blog, but sometimes I just do not know what to think about these kids. Today was a perfectly normal day, not overly annoying or troubling, until less than an hour before it was time to go home. At about 5:10pm one of our regulars starts throwing bedding and clothes around in his cell and yelling like a crazy fool for no reason. Well, one thing led to another and soon we had a cell extraction and a suicide suit on this kid and he's on 5 minutes room checks. What the hell?


What causes these goofballs to blow out like this? The psych doctors would attribute it to emotional disturbance, the wrong medications, etc. I think that a major part of it is that the kid simply likes attention and the easiest way to get it is negatively. Too bad. I think he could be basically a good kid, but he absolutely refuses to participate in his rehabilitation. It makes me sad, and it makes me want a new job where there are no kids' futures on the line, but at the same time, I want to one day make a difference. I guess I am, in my own way. Today I wished one of my home supervision kids good luck in court tomorrow, and she said she hoped she was NOT getting off home supervision because she liked to have someone call her and care about her every day. I hate talking on the phone, really I do, but since I have to do it, I am glad that at least one of them appreciates it!


The best thing about my crazy job is that I get to go home at the end of the day and hug my own boy, who is not even close to his teenage years, and think about what kind of mommy I need to be so that he does not end up in my facility in 13 or so years. He keeps me going, and in a crazy way, so do those wayward kids!

No comments: